Sunday, November 8, 2015

I’ve been following the strategy lab articles from The Globe and Mail.

They started in Sept 2012 and cumulative returns have been 31%, 34%, 67% and 288% (he bought TSLA).
For reference;
The 67% cumulative is approx 19%/yr compounded
The 31% cumulative is about 10%/yr compounded

I then looked at my accounts…

My “trading account” was 19.4%/yr compounded (68% cumulative)
My passive account with mixed mutual funds and a few poor stocks (ie. CCJ) has been 16%yr/ compounded, which is way better than I figured. My Work RPP (yet another separate account has managed 12%/yr compounded (it’s a split of 4 into the indexes) and has been slightly tilted US equities until recently when I untilited.
Lastly I made a benchmark within my passive account above (mentioned in an earlier posting) and included it's return (but it so far has hurt the overall passive account return) was a 1/3 mix of simple low cost ETF strategy.

1/3 VTI, VCE, VAB and re balance when it's (10% or so out of balance). This one has only averaged a 10%/yr compounded or about 31% cumulative.

For yet another comparison's sake BRK.a on its own is about 16%/yr compounded (no div of course which mine above didn’t include cause I don’t reinvest) but that isn’t counting the USD exchange which all above is.


Anyways I found that little math lesson interesting…

No comments:

Post a Comment